Our grannies were wise and resourceful, with an endless list of “life hacks” that helped them navigate their daily lives with ease. These simple yet effective tips and tricks were passed down from generation to generation, and many of them still work wonders today.
Here are 30 of our favorite granny-approved life hacks that you can try out for yourself:
- Clean your windows with newspaper for a streak-free shine.
- Use vinegar and baking soda to unclog drains.
- Place a piece of bread in your container of brown sugar to keep it from clumping.
- Rub a bar of soap on a zipper that gets stuck to make it glide smoothly.
- Add a pinch of salt to boiling water to make it boil faster.
- Use a rubber band to keep a door from latching shut.
- Cut up old towels to use as cleaning rags.
- Store leftover wine in ice cube trays to use in recipes.
- Use a lemon wedge to remove stains from cutting boards.
- Put a slice of apple in your container of cookies to keep them fresh.
- Use a shower cap to cover your shoes when packing them in a suitcase.
- Wrap a rubber band around a paint can to wipe excess paint off your brush.
- Store your kitchen sponges in the dishwasher to clean and sanitize them.
- Use a mixture of vinegar and water to clean your microwave.
- Put a slice of bread in your container of cake to keep it moist.
- Use toothpaste to clean silver jewelry.
- Use a hairdryer to soften old candle wax for easy removal.
- Place a wooden spoon over a pot of boiling water to prevent it from boiling over.
- Use a lint roller to clean your lampshades.
- Store your bed linens inside one of the pillowcases for easy storage.
- Use a rubber band to keep your cutting board from slipping while you work.
- Use a mixture of vinegar and water to clean your coffee maker.
- Put a dryer sheet in your shoes to keep them fresh.
- Use a baking soda and water paste to clean the grime off your stove burners.
- Use a pool noodle to keep your boots upright in storage.
- Store your plastic wrap in the freezer to make it easier to handle.
- Use baking soda and water to clean your silverware.
- Place a damp towel underneath your cutting board to keep it from slipping.
- Use a mixture of vinegar and water to clean your oven.
- Use a clothespin to hold a nail in place while hammering it in.
These granny-approved life hacks may seem simple, but they are tried and true methods that have been passed down through the ages.
Give them a try and see how they can make your life easier and more efficient. Who knows, you might even impress your own grandchildren with your newfound wisdom!