Birthdays are special occasions that we look forward to every year. It’s a time to celebrate with family and friends, enjoy good food, and receive gifts. However, not all gifts are created equal.
There are some presents that should never be given, as they are either inappropriate, insensitive, or just plain bad. Here are the top 25 birthday gifts that should never be given:
- A gym membership – unless specifically asked for, this can be seen as a negative comment on the recipient’s weight.
- Cheap wine or alcohol – a gift that suggests the recipient is not worth spending money on.
- A framed photo of yourself – a gift that is more about the giver than the recipient.
- A cleaning product – a gift that implies that the recipient’s home is not clean enough.
- Used or re-gifted items – it’s not only thoughtless but also insulting to give someone a used or re-gifted item.
- Personal hygiene products – while these may be useful, they’re not a fun or exciting birthday gift.
- Self-help books – a gift that implies that the recipient has personal issues that need fixing.
- A generic gift card – while it may be convenient, a generic gift card shows a lack of effort and thought.
- A diet book – this implies that the recipient needs to lose weight or is not happy with their body
- Socks or underwear – while these may be practical, they’re not an exciting or thoughtful gift.
- A fake plant – a gift that implies that the recipient doesn’t have a green thumb.
- A toaster – a practical but uninspired gift that lacks thoughtfulness.
- A tacky piece of jewelry – a gift that shows a lack of taste or thoughtfulness.
- A knock-off designer bag or accessory – a gift that shows a lack of taste and thoughtfulness.
- A scale – another gift that implies that the recipient needs to lose weight.
- A book on how to be successful – a gift that implies that the recipient is not successful enough.
- A cheap piece of artwork – a gift that shows a lack of taste and thoughtfulness.
- A gift that is clearly re-gifted – a gift that shows a lack of effort and thought.
- A pet – while it may seem like a cute idea, a pet is a big responsibility and should not be given as a surprise gift.
- A jar of pickles or other random food item – a gift that lacks thoughtfulness.
- A CD or DVD of a movie or music that the recipient doesn’t like – looks like you don’t care.
- A gift that promotes a controversial political or religious viewpoint – a gift that could cause offense or hurt feelings.
- A gift that is obviously re-gifted – shows you are just trying to get rid of something.
- A piece of clothing that doesn’t fit or is unflattering – a gift that could be hurtful or insulting.
- A gift that is clearly last minute – a gift that shows their birthday is an after-thought for you.
While birthdays are a time to celebrate and give gifts, it’s important to put thought and effort into selecting the right present. Show them you care!